New Kitchen





Since we have lovely granite counters I thought that it was time to take down the wallpaper (which I thought was competing with the look of the granite) and do something different. With Jenna's encouragement (I put that in so I can deflect some of the scowls from Dad to her!!) I took down the wallpaper and painted and put up white Beadboard. Initially I thought the wallpaper removal was going to be a piece of cake. The first piece I took down came in one big strip. About half way around the room it started coming off in smaller and smaller pieces. Still, I've had worse. Discovered someone's art work on the wall after the wallpaper was off. Then I painted the top 1/3 of the wall and dark grayish brown color. The next job was to put up the beadboard. I had figured this would take 3-4 hours. WRONG. The beadboard itself ended up taking us 15 hours and we still had to do the trim later!! Needless to say, if Dad wasn't thrilled about the new kitchen look before I started, he was even less thrilled about it after. Once it was all done I asked him how he liked the beadboard. He said he didn't. When I asked why he said he grew up in a house with paneling and he doesn't like it. I told him this was beadboard, not paneling. He said "You can dress a pig up in a silk dress but it's still a pig". So there you go...probably true!! To top it all off, while he was in NYC I bought some fabric and made curtains. I got fabric that had the right texture and colors to match everything. When Dad got home he almost fell over in shock. He said not only does he have to live with paneling, now there are curtains with French all over them! So , here are pictures of our French country kitchen!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment