I Blame Genetics.

I'm pathetic.

I went to get my physical for my mission tonight (yes, valentine's night) and came out over an hour later. The second the started to draw blood I completely passed out and I just remember the doctor shining a light in my eyes (probably like 5 minuets later) with 5 other nurses gathered around her trying tog et me to open my eyes and talk to them, but I was in so much pain and felt so stomach sick that I couldnt' even stay conscious. Embarrassing.

Even more embarassing when they forced me to drink tangerine crap and I threw it up (still mostly unconscious).

Even more embarrassing when I couldn't keep my eyes open and they had to lift me up and put me in a wheelchair then lift me up again and lay me down on a bed to rest for like twenty minutes before they'd let me leave.

And then the doctor asked me if I've ever given blood. I said no. She responded: Good. Don't.

SO. Let's just hope that she actually gives her consent for me to serve a mission and considers me healthy, not some sickly girl who can't even get through a routine physical without blacking out.


3 comments:

Laurel said...

Welcome to the club, sis.

Laurel said...

One time I was in a sacrament meeting and this guys started telling a story about a profuse nose bleed that wouldn't stop (loosely related to prayer or something). Anyway, he starts talking about wringing out wash cloths full of blood into the sink, and such. I swear I almost passed out! Tunnel vision and everything. I think I have a blood phobia of some sort.

On a side note, low blood pressure seems to run in our family--which could explain the passing out thing. When you get poked by a needle, the stress tends to make your vascular system dilate, which can drop your blood pressure even further. Our already low blood pressure doesn't leave much wiggle room, so we end up on the floor!

Amie said...

Uh, I assume that Laurel is really Doug...? And, yes, it's called vasal vagal, happens quite often. Fortunately I actually DON't pass out giving blood or seeing blood, or I'd be in BIG trouble! What does get me are bodily fluids, though. Snot, vomit, etc. really freaks me out. I was in a patient's room the other day and he started vomiting all over himself and I had to leave the room to supress my gag reflex....

Post a Comment